Girl, Interrupted....

"So what's your diag-nonsense?"


Today I went to the gym.

It was my first time to the gym this year.  It's been a bit of a break, I'll say. My fight with Big Jim Walker got interrupted.   I had a date with my surgeon, who repaired a nice sized umbilical hernia.    I came home thinking I had a quick week of recovery and instead had more than a month of hassle.    I'll spare you details, but some words I'll throw out are infection, abscess, draining, procedure, antibiotics, packing, rash and reaction.

Girl, interrupted.

So yesterday, I finally got the "all clear, go back to the gym, sweat and lift" speech from my surgeon.  

In anticipation for this day, I started grasping for some motivation from my peeps.   I started stirring up the anxiety soup.   I started over thinking and "what-if"ing everything.     Then, I got the "YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL" speech (one of my favorites, btw) from Mr. Trainer.   It sort of knocked me back for a minute....but it reminded me that my situation is not the end of the world, nor is it devastating or even troubling.  

I was out of commission and now I'm not.   So go back and get to it.

No, I'm not as strong as I was before.
No, I won't have the stamina I had right away.
I will be tired, sore, hungry and grumpy......initially.

So what?

Girl starting over.



Don't you know?

You don't tug on Superman's cape,
you don't spit into the wind,
you don't pull the mask
off that ol' Lone Ranger and you
don't mess around with Jim

-- Jim Croce, 1972


Popular Posts